Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Blog the Blogger: The Spaztastic Adventures of a DC Fashionate



Kiki's been at this whole blogging thing longer than the DCGF, and her blog - The Spaztastic Adventures of a DC Fashionate - is funny because it's true. Recently, she tried to forgo shoe shopping in order to save up for a laptop. And then a posting titled only "Failure" expressed how so many of us give into the temptation of fashion, even when other necessities beckon. I laughed out loud. But those shoes (at left, from Reiss) are cute! Forthwith, Kiki answers to the DCGF's soon-to-be Famous Five (plus One) questions...

1. What is the first article
of clothing you remember that you loved to wear? I am and always have been an accessories kind of girl. I don't remember a particular outfit or dress that I loved at a super young age (my love for all things taffeta didn't really click until I was about 9 or 10) but I do remember that the bows in my hair had to ALWAYS coordinate with whatever outfit I had on. Yellow fish t-shirt with hot pink biker shorts? That meant a yellow bow with hot pink ribbons and a fish applique. I totally blame my mother. She was an enabler.

2. Where is your favorite place - besides Goodwill, of course! - to shop for a fashion bargain in the DC area?
I'm a TJ Maxx-aholic. Again, this is my mother's fault. We make TJMaxxing a sport. While I'm not as impressed with the DC-area Teej's as the ones in the South, I've still been able to get some good stuff on occasion. In addition to the typical chains like H&M and Forever 21, I also love to shop the sales at Annie Creamcheese, Commander Salamander (they've got some seriously fun accessories!), and Nido. Eastern Market is also a fave... you can eat cheese while shopping! There's not much better than that.

3
. Where is your favorite place to shop for a fashion bargain outside of DC? I'm originally from Atlanta and there are some great thrift stores down there, namely Value Village. I've found some fantastic vintage shops on South Street in Philadelphia and Akira is one place in Chicago (along with Giordano's pizza!) that I really wish would move to DC. Etsy.com is one of my most favorite shopping sites for things both spendy and thrifty (usually thrifty!). My mom's closet is also a fantastic spot for vintage scarves, jewelry, and sequined skirts I can turn in to holiday dresses.

4. Who is your current favorite designer? I love all things Valentino, but I'll keep things accessory-minded. I absolutely love Benjamin's sunglass collection. I fell in love with men's sunglasses after seeing a pair of Tom Ford's on Brad Pitt and I think these Benjamin's just have that vintage vibe that makes them super special. I love handbags by Elisa Atheniense and Cynthia Rowley. Fave (dream!) shoe designers include Ferragamo (for classics), Stella McCartney, Reiss, Leopoldo Giordano, Jill Stuart, Pedro Garcia.... [Name dropper! Ha... -the DCGF]

5. If you could own any single item from fashion past or present - money is no object! - what would it be? Hands down something from Elizabeth Taylor's jewelry collection. I think I'd go with Liz's personal favorite: the Krupp diamond. Yes, it's incredibly gaudy. I like it that way!

Bonus Question: How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop? I actually had a Tootsie Pop just the other day! I was doing really well on the not-biting until I got annoyed by a bus driver who just decided to blow past me. Then biting was involved. So I guess the answer is... "until DC Metro pisses you off." Which if you actually rely on Metro to get around should only take three or four licks.

Wow, that's some great insight on both Tootsie Pops and D.C.'s public transportation predicament. Nice work, Kiki. And although that diamond is perhaps just a tad over the top, I'm all about wildly oversized costume jewelry, so I can dig it. Good luck on your continuing quest to save up for a laptop. I have one word for you: MacBook. I'm addicted to mine. In a good way, of course. You know, like how I'm addicted to shoes, too! Have a great weekend dear readers!




Any purchase made at a Goodwill Retail Store or on shopgoodwill.com funds Goodwill's mission of training and employment programs for people with disadvantages or disabilities.

No comments: