Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Blog the Blogger: Shoegal



Cheers, dear readers. Hope you're having a jolly good Friday morning. What's with all this Brit talk? Well that's because today's Blog the Blogger comes to us from across the pond. (Oh, if you need to know how to draw the Union Jack, the Cheltenham Borough Council has a guide, at right. Just sayin'.)

Shoegal lives in Yorkshire, UK, and almost daily blogs about what she's wearing, especially her - big surprise here - shoes. She's super-tall like the DC Goodwill Fashionista, so we're kindred spirits in that way. Enjoy her wacky British spelling and terminology (I kid!) as she answers the
DCGF's soon-to-be-famous five (plus one) questions...

1. What is the first article of clothing you remember that you loved to wear? Oh this is a tough one. I remember I had a pink dress when I was about 8 or 9. It was made of heavy cotton, kind of like denim, with elastic ribbing on the cuffs, hem and roll neck, like the cuff on a sweatshirt. It was a drop waist style with a button on either side. It was given to me by my older (and therefore far cooler than me) neighbour. She would pass on many of her old clothes over the years and I loved getting a bag of them, it was so exciting to see what was inside. Sadly I don’t think there are any photos of me wearing the dress otherwise of course I’d share.

2. Where is your favorite place to shop for a fashion bargain in the DC area? I’ve never been to DC so I can’t answer this one! Can I tell you about my favourite place to shop in the UK? [Well, okay... -the DCGF] It has to be Long Tall Sally. When they have a sale on. Regular readers of my blog will know I am a big fan of this shop and its website as I am so tall. There’s always something here to fit and the styles are not limited to black trousers and jeans as so many other tall ranges on the British high street seem to be. [I found the cute dress at left on sale for ?40, or about US$80. -the DCGF] Tall ladies of the US, you don’t know how lucky you are – there are so many more retailers over there carrying tall styles than there are in the UK.

3. Where is your favorite place to shop for a fashion bargain outside of DC? I think I covered that in question 2 but for a real bargain, it has to be one of the many, many charity shops that can be found in my home town and local to where I live now. I am a particular fan of the fact that you can buy shoes for ?2.99 (US$6 ish) that would have cost much more than that new. My favourite pair is these black and cream ones worth ?45 (US$90).

4. Who is your current favorite designer? I have to say I tend to watch what is going on on the high street [Translation: the general shopping district in a town in the UK... -the DCGF] more than on the catwalks, but Alberta Ferretti can always come up with a pretty frock or two. [And a great shoe; see left. -the DCGF] And of course, being Shoegal, it’s got to be Christian Louboutin or Manolo Blahnik for the high end shoes and boots.

5. If you could own any single item from fashion past or present - money is no object! - what would it be? This is hard. I am totally in love with these NYLA over the knee suede boots. Of course my legs are so long they’d be just up to the knee on me – the perfect length. They come in red too if you’re feeling really daring...

Bonus Question: How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop? My typically British answer: What is a Tootsie Pop? Wait, I’ll Google it…. Good old Wikipedia! But I’m still not sure – do they have a hard sugar coating? If they do it’ll take me ages to get to the centre – those boiled sweet lollies always took me ages to eat – I’d get bored and crunch it in the end.

Ahaha - boiled sweet lollies! Delicious! I love it. Isn't it great to get an international perspective? And Shoegal just did this fun thing on her blog where she listed where here readers come from around the world. It's always fun as bloggers to know where our readers our reading the blog.

Well, dear readers, I have a nasty cold and am out of clever things to say. Don't forget to "Show Us Your Denim" (see yesterday's post) and drop off your gently used jeans at a participating Levi's retail store near you, if you live in San Fran, L.A., Chicago, NYC, or the D.C. metro area. Have a great weekend...


No comments: