Sunday, May 4, 2008

Delightful, Delovely Dresses



So it's April, right? I mean, this rain, this cold weather, this gray gloom - it's all going to lift, right? And then we can frolic in our spring finery and whatnot. Right? Um...

Okay, so the weather here in DC may not be very cooperative (I hope it's better where you are!), but the DCGF is thinking positively. After all, I have a fabulous cocktail party to attend on Thursday night at Fashion 40 Lounge and I need to think about cocktail dresses. To that end, I've pulled two for you to contemplate, dear readers, as this week's Goodwill Good Buy of the Week.

I'm going to start w
ith the back of the first dress, a beautiful deep-eggplant colored polyester/triacetate number from Jones New York that still has the tags on it! Althought the front is nice, the back is the real showstopper, with elegant wide, crossed straps and a flowing skirt. Oh, you know Lloyd Boston is JNY's "Style Guy" now, right? They've really come far as a company.

Anyway, this dress is a size 12 and knee length - perfect for after hours or, with a cardigan and some tights, the work day, too. I love how the fabric is drape-y without clinging and the color is a great alternative to basic black.

Want to see the rest of the dress? Check it out on the DC Goodwill eBay store later this afternoon. And I promise it will be up this time, along with last week's Good Buy. I fixed the camera...finally.

The second dress is, I have to say, one of my favorite pieces so far this year. And consensus around the office is that it might turn into a bidding war for this one! You can see the pattern - and the extra button - to the left. It's a gorgeous flower print dress from Donna Ricco in a size 8. Oh, and did I mention that this dress is brand new, too? The button was probably a give away, but I thought I'd mention that, just in case.

The fabrication is 96% polyester and 4% lycra, for a touch of stretch and to help the dress maintain it's shape. You're going to want to wear it a lot, so that's a good thing!

What makes it really special, as you can see at right, is the unique neckline and cap sleeves. The back is fantastic, too, with a triangle opening that shows just enough skin to keep 'em guessing. The shirring at the waistline is extremely flattering to a variety of body types and the hemline hits at the knee on an average height woman.

Usually I can't put an exact retail value on the Goodwill Good Buy, but since dresses nearly identical to this are currently for sale on nordstrom.com, let me say this: you could spend $158.00 for a similar style or you could spend much, much less on this dress on the DC Goodwill eBay store AND support training and employment for people with disadvantages and disabilities with your purchase. Huh. I think I last that second option better, don't you? Happy shopping!


No comments: