Saturday, July 5, 2008

Tony, Tony, Tony



I swore off red carpet ogling, dear readers, really I did. Remember when the Golden Globes were canceled earlier this year and somehow everyone in Hollywood stayed strong and the whole place didn't implode and luckily we still had new episodes of crappy television shows and actors didn't go hungry? Whew. That was close.

So it was with a combination of anxiety (What will Christian Siriano design for Whoopi?) and laziness (Where is my remote? Oh well, I'll just watch what's on...) that I approached Sunday's Tony Awards. The DCGF is not a "theater person." I don't know what's playing on Broadway right now, or who's up for best book of a musical. But I do remember loving watching musicals on TV and videos as a kid, and I could still probably conjure up most of the lyrics to The Sound of Music.

Regardless, I have to admit I was utterly surprised as I watched the stars of the Great White Way walk down the red carpet in what just might be some of the best looks of the year.

Take Martha Plimpton. You probably recognize her from any of the "Law & Order" shows. She's usually a drug addict. I mean, she usually plays a d
rug addict. Oh, and she was in The Goonies. Anyway, she's also a well-regarded theater actor and I think she looks absolutely amazing in this dress. That's her dad, Keith Carradine, with her, and he looks great, too. Hooray for a classic tux!

B
ut Martha's Carolina Herrera mermaid gown is truly stunning. It fits perfectly, the colors complement her complexion, and she keeps the jewelry simple and tasteful (love the giant cocktail ring!). Would that a few A-list actresses could show up looking so put together on a red carpet! My only criticism is her hair. It's a bit, uh, big. And a bit stiff looking. But I'll let that slide in lieu of the dress.

Who else looked stunning? Oddly enough I think that Mary Louise Parker and Adam Duritz (Huh? When did that happen? Again.) pulled off a rather chic look. Sure, his bow tie/seersucker suit combo is a bold choice, but I think he actually makes it work. I mean, with hair like that, what else is he going to wear? And Mary Louise just keeps looking better.

Her Alberta Ferretti frock was one of the few short ones on the red carpet that night, but it had enough sparkle and she has great enough legs to make it seem perfectly in place. The fact that she's 44 and willing to wear a short dress with a plunging neckline is just fantastic, I think. And her skin! Um, is it perfect, or what?

And, of course, she had the de rigueur item of the evening: an elegant clutch. But these aren't the minaudieres of old, oh no, dear readers. These are real handbags. It appears as if one could actually carry around a few useful items in them. Love it!

Finally, I think Marisa Tomei might have just walked away with the Best Look of the Night. She's so gorgeous with simple pulled back hair, minimal makeup and jewelry, and an showstopper of a strapless dress.

Although I can't seem to find anywhere who designed it (leave a comment if you know!), the fiery red color, offset with the black flower embroidery and black belt make for a powerful combination. I've always been a fan of red and black paired together, but it has to be done well, with one color dominating and the other offsetting it as an accent.

I feel like maybe, just maybe, there weren't so many stylists, make-up artists, handlers, and the ilk involved in this red carpet, which is probably why those walking it look happy and relaxed.

Oh, speaking of red carpets, I'm still waiting to hear back from Amy Smart. I have my fingers crossed, dear readers, that she'll come through! And in the meantime, if you know of any other celebrity that might be willing to don a Goodwill ensemble for the red carpet, let me know! I've now made it my goal by the end of 2008 to see Goodwill clothes on a celebrity. Go team!





Any purchase made at a Goodwill Retail Store or on eBay funds Goodwill's mission of training and employment programs for people with disadvantages or disabilities.

No comments: